I turned my tags into DMV. What should I do about the taxes?
If you still own the vehicle the taxes are due in full.
If not, the tax office will need proof of ownership transfer of the vehicle along with a FS-20 form from DMV.
This could include a copy of the bill of sale or a copy of the front and back of the title transfer showing you sold the vehicle.

Show All Answers

1. Can you change my name/address on my motor vehicle tag & tax renewal?
2. When is the last day I can pay my motor vehicle tax bill?
3. I no longer own the car. Why must I pay the tax?
4. I believe I was billed twice on the same car. What do I need to do?
5. When can I appeal my vehicle value?
6. What supporting documentation should I submit with my vehicle appeal?
7. Do you have the number to the License Plate Agency?
8. I have moved out of state. Can I get a refund of the Onslow County taxes paid on my vehicle?
9. I paid taxes when I purchased and/or registered my vehicle. Why do I also have to pay property taxes?
10. How do I apply for a release or refund on my vehicle?
11. The value on my tax bill is more than I paid for the vehicle. How do I appeal?
12. How are registered motor vehicles valued?
13. Should I list my licensed motor vehicle during the regular listing period?
14. I paid taxes on a car that was stolen. Do I owe the taxes?
15. I transferred tags from my old car to a new car. Do I owe the tax bill on the old car?
16. I turned in a leased vehicle. Why does the leasing company say I owe tax?
17. I turned my tags into DMV. What should I do about the taxes?
18. I sold my vehicle but still have the tags. Do I have to pay taxes?
19. How long do I have to request a refund after the tags are turned into the DMV?
20. I have moved to another county. Do I still owe Onslow vehicle taxes?
21. What does "registered vehicle" mean?