- Departments A-I
- Human Resources
- Retiree Insurance Information
Retiree Insurance Information
For all employees hired prior to July 1, 2009, the County will provide individual health care insurance to pre-65 year old retired employees and their dependents that qualify under the following policy. These benefits are not provided to employees hired on or after July 1, 2009.
- The retired employee must be less than 65 years of age.
- The retired employee must be eligible to receive retirement from the NC Local Government Employees Retirement System. Retirement may be of any type.
- The retired employee must have at least 10 years of continuous employment with Onslow County Government immediately preceding the retirement, of which, twelve months may be represented by accumulated sick leave as calculated by the North Carolina Retirement System.
- Once the retired employee turns age 65, this benefit will cease.
- All covered retired employees are required to report any other group medical coverage which they have at the time of retirement, or which they may obtain subsequent to retirement so that benefits can be coordinated with the other insurance coverage.
- Any group coverage which a retired employee obtains as a result of post-retirement employment will be considered primary and the County's health care policy will be secondary.
- Failure to report other coverage will be considered justification for the County to immediately terminate this benefit.
- No employee who is terminated involuntarily (other than reduction in force) will be eligible for this benefit.