Adult Programs & Events
Reading becomes an even richer experience when it is shared. Book clubs are a great way to meet new people, discover new genres or titles, have good conversations, and get to know your local library!
Jacksonville: 1 PM
- Sept. 28: The Book of Lost Names by Kristin Harmel
- Oct. 26: Invisible: The Forgotten Story of the Black Woman Lawyer Who Took Down America’s Most Powerful Mobster by Stephen L. Carter
- Nov. 16: Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey
Richlands: 5 PM
- Sept. 23: American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins
- Oct. 28: The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
- Nov. 18: The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett
Sneads Ferry: 1 PM
- Sept. 10: The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
- Oct. 8: Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
- Nov. 12: The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris
Swansboro: 11:30 AM
- Sept. 14: The Giver of Stars by JoJo Moyes
- Oct. 12: Inheriting Edith by Zoe Fishman
- Nov. 16: The Venice Sketchbook by Rhys Bowen
Paging All Readers
Join the conversation anywhere, anytime. Read at your own pace and discuss the book at your convenience with staff and other members. Search Facebook: OCPL Online Book Club
Virtual: 7 PM
- Sept. 26: Learning to Speak Southern by Lindsey Rogers Cook
- Oct. 24: In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
- Nov. 28: The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah
Valuable info, ideas, and tips to successfully research your roots!
Jacksonville: 10 AM
- Sept. 13: Your Library – A Resource for Genealogy & Local History Research
- Oct. 11: Past Tense (Genealogy Book Club)
- Nov. 8: Adoption Research for Family Genealogists
Not all heroes wear capes. Donate blood and save a life. Walk-ins welcome, appointments preferred. Visit the American Red Cross website or call the library for details. Schedule your life saving appointment today: bit.ly/onslowappt
Sneads Ferry: Oct 14, 9 AM- 2 PM
POETRY IN THE KITCHEN
Join local poet duo, Franco & Susan Pagnucciin this exciting program mixed with cooking, poetry, and great fun!
Swansboro: Sept. 29; 4 PM
PAST TENSE BOOK CLUB
Join us at our Genealogy Book Club meeting to discuss In the Blood (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery) by Steve Robinson.
Jacksonville: Oct 11; 10-12 PM
SWANSBORO COOKING CLUB
Join us as we explore new cookbooks. September’s cookbook is Best Recipes from America’s Country Inns and Bed & Breakfasts by Kitty and Lucian Maynard. Pick up a recipe at the Swansboro branch and bring in your dish to discuss these tasty tests!
Swansboro: Sept. 23, Oct. 21, Nov. 18; 4 PM
REEL FILM FANS
Join fellow film enthusiast to view and discuss classic and iconic movies.
Sneads Ferry: 2 PM
- Sept. 20: Citizen Kane
- Oct. 18: Casablanca
- Nov. 15: The High and the Mighty
EDWARD JONES FINANCIAL WORKSHOP
Stop in and sign up for “Outsmarting the Scammers.” Light refreshments will be served. RSVP to the Swansboro branch to attend.
Swansboro: Sept. 27; 5 PM
NAVY FEDERAL CREDIT UNION VIRTUAL PRESENTATIONS
Continuing our community partnership in financial education and resources, please join us each third Wednesday of the month to get tips and guidance to strengthen your financial well-being.
Virtual: 10 AM
Celebrate National Senior Center Month by sitting in on this engaging conversation with Lisa Mobley from Onslow County Senior Services to learn about all the programs and resources they have to offer!
Jacksonville: Sept. 9; 9:30 AM
Career, Education & Self-help
THE FOUNDATION CENTER
Need to answer questions about nonprofit management, grants, and fundraising? Foundation Center resources are free of charge and available to the public. Candid’s online resources -- Foundation Directory Online (FDO), Grants to Individuals and GuideStar -- are available for research during open hours on our public computers at any OCPL location. For more assistance, schedule a one on one session through Book-a-Librarian.
Jacksonville: Introduction to Finding Grants
- Oct. 4; 10:30 AM
- Oct. 22; 12:30 PM (lunch and learn - bring your lunch)
Attend free virtual self-help clinics to learn how to handle certain basic legal issues without hiring an attorney. You will receive all the guidance and paperwork necessary to walk out of the clinic and into the courthouse. Dates and times vary, please visit legalaidnc.org/clinics to view and register.
NATIONAL ENTREPRENEUR’S DAY
Let’s talk business with Michael Drummond. Are you a budding entrepreneur or small business owner? OCPL is here to help guide your entrepreneurial success. Join Michael D. as he shares resources to start and grow your small business.
Virtual: Nov. 16; 12 PM
Hobbies & Crafts
IT’S A PIECE OF CAKE DECORATING CLASS
Would you like to learn the secrets to successful cake decorating? Join Amanda as she takes you through steps to impressing your friends and family with confectionary perfection.
Sneads Ferry: 10 AM
- Sept. 18: Icing and Piping
- Oct. 16: Icing the Cake
- Nov. 20: Cup Cake Flowers
You are invited to a Pinterest Party! Join us as we create some of our favorite crafts. You may register online, by calling your local branch or coming into the library. Project and supplies are provided - you bring the creativity!
Jacksonville: Oct. 9; 11:30 AM: Book Witch
Richlands: Oct. 2; 10AM: Christmas holiday project
Sneads Ferry: 10 AM
- Sept. 25: Poe inspired Wreath
- Nov. 13: Gift Card Holders
- Sept. 24: Sew a Book Pouch 9:30 & 11 AM
- Nov. 12: Pinwheel Wreath, 10 AM
GRAB & GO KITS
Take-home craft kits are available at the Jacksonville branch and will be first come, first serve.
- September: Cork Pumpkin,
- November: Fall Garland with Book Page Leaves
MAKERSPACE SEWING AND EMBROIDERY MACHINES
From simple stitching to advanced fashion design, you can do it all with our sewing machines. Don’t know how to sew? No problem! We offer sewing and embroidery basics. Sign up for a time slot online.
Jacksonville: 10 AM-7 PM
- Sept. 13 & 27: Fall Tea Tow el (Embroidery)
- Oct. 11 & 18: Neck Warmers (sewing)
Interested in making an electric connection? Join us for fun with circuits!
Sneads Ferry: Sept. 13 & 27, Oct. 11 & 18; 10 AM-5 PM
MAKERSPACE 3D PRINTING
Experience the thrill of realizing a unique design becoming a physical 3D object.
Sneads Ferry: Nov. 1 & 15 10 AM - 5 PM
Coastal Carolina Community College and Onslow County Public Library are excited to come together to host a One Book, One Community yearlong program of events centered around a common book and theme.
Explore new genres, stretch your reading comfort zone, and win prizes!