How do I apply for the disabled veteran's exemption; and what are requirements?
According to G.S.105-277.1.C , an application (AV-9) must be filed by June 1st.
Also, form NCDVA-9 must be submitted to the Veteran’s Administration Office to verify that the Veteran qualifies.
The VA will return the form to the veteran; it must then submitted to the Tax Office.
The Tax Office will assist in this process through our local Veterans Service Office. Disabled veteran defined is a veteran whose character of service at separation was honorable or under honorable conditions and who has a total and permanent service-connected disability or who received benefits for specially adapted housing under 38 U.S.C.2101.
There is no income or age limitation for this program; the first $45,000 of the appraised value of the permanent residence of the disabled veteran is excluded from taxation.

Show All Answers

1. What are the Property Tax Relief Exclusions/Exemptions that I may benefit from?
2. Do I have to apply for the Elderly or Disabled exclusion every year?
3. When is my Property Tax Relief application due?
4. How do I apply for the disabled veteran's exemption; and what are requirements?
5. Do you offer any programs to assist the elderly?
6. How do I apply for the elderly exemption?
7. How is income determined for the Elderly or Disabled Exclusion?
8. What is the age requirement for the elderly exemption?
9. Are churches automatically exempt from property taxes?
10. My church has a bus. Is it automatically exempt from taxes?
11. I am an active duty soldier. Is my property exempt?
12. My husband is a resident of N.C. but is deployed, does he owe taxes?
13. I am a disabled veteran. Can I get a discount on my vehicle taxes?
14. I am military active duty. Will my wife's property be exempt?