- Paper Size - 8½ inches by 11 inches or 8½ inches by 14 inches
- Margins - Blank margin of 3 inches at the top of the first page, blank margins of ¼ inch on remaining sides of first page and on all sides of subsequent pages.
- Font Size - Typed or printed in black on white paper in a legible font. A font size no smaller than 9 points shall be considered legible. Blanks in an instrument may be completed in pen and corrections to an instrument may be made in pen.
- Pages - One sided only.
- Instrument Type - State type of instrument at the top of first page.
- Penalty - If the above requirements are not met, the Register of Deeds shall record the document after collecting the non-standard document fee of $25 along with the recording fee. If the instrument is non-standard due to the font size being smaller than 9 points, the Register of Deeds has the discretion of considering it legible and not charging the non-standard fee.
Any document that has a letter or legal size map/plat/drawing attached MUST have the following statement UNLESS it is an original map that conforms to the mapping standards, or is a certified previously recorded plat:
"This map may not be a certified survey and has not been reviewed by a local government agency for compliance with any applicable land development regulations and has not been reviewed for compliance with recording requirements for plats."
(1) Any person preparing or filing a document for recordation or filing in the official records may not include a social security, employer taxpayer identification, drivers license, state identification, passport, checking account, savings account, credit card, or debit card number, or personal identification (PIN) code or passwords in the document, unless expressly required by law or court order, adopted by the State Registrar on records of vital events, or redacted so that no more than the last four digits of the identification number is included.
(2) Any person has a right to request a register of deeds or clerk of court to remove, from an image or copy of an official record placed on a register of deeds' or clerk of court's Internet Web site available to the general public or on an Internet Web site available to the general public used by a register of deeds or clerk of court to display public records, any social security, employer taxpayer identification, drivers license, state identification, passport, checking account, savings account, credit card, or debit card number, or personal identification (PIN) code or passwords contained in an official record. The request must be made in writing and delivered by mail, facsimile, or electronic transmission, or delivered in person, to the register of deeds or clerk of court. The request must specify the personal information to be redacted, information that identifies the document that contains the personal information and unique information that identifies the location within the document that contains the social security, employer taxpayer identification, drivers license, state identification, passport, checking account, savings account, credit card, or debit card number, or personal identification (PIN) code or passwords to be redacted. No fee will be charged for the redaction pursuant to such a request. Any person who requests a redaction without proper authority to do so shall be guilty of an infraction, punishable by a fine not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500.00) for each violation.
Maps / Plats
The only size accepted for maps and plats is 18 inches by 24 inches. The original map for our office must be on mylar.