- Departments J-Z
- Social Services
- Human Services Programs
- Child Protective Services (CPS)
- CPS Intake-Reporting Abuse & Neglect
CPS Intake-Reporting Abuse & Neglect
Child Protective Services (CPS) Intake is the portal of entry for any family who becomes involved with Child Protective Services in Onslow County. This involves receiving and screening child protective services reports to determine what further action is required. Detailed information gathered at CPS Intake directly impacts the safety of the alleged victim children and any subsequent intervention.
The goal of CPS Intake is to make consistent screening decisions using a structured intake process based on specific criteria. The steps of CPS Intake are:
1. Complete a new CPS Intake utilizing the Structured Intake Report tool, using a strengths-based approach with the reporter.
2. Consult the Maltreatment Screening Tool(s) (Abuse, Neglect and or Dependency) that correspond to the allegations.
3. Consult the Response Priority Decision Tree to determine timeframes (Immediate, 24 hours, or 72 hours).
4. Determine the appropriate Assessment Response Type (Investigative or Family).
The CPS Intake process determines whether the reported information meets the statutory guidelines for child maltreatment. When a report is screened in (i.e., it meets the statutory requirements), the report is assigned for CPS Assessment.
Who should report?
In North Carolina, any person who has cause to suspect a child is being maltreated (abused or neglected, or is dependent), is required by law to report their concerns to a county child welfare services agency.
When and how should a report be made?
Reports of child abuse, neglect and/or dependency should be made when any person suspects a child is being maltreated.
Onslow County Department of Social Services CPS Intake receives reports of suspected child abuse, neglect and/or dependency 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Reports should be made by calling Onslow County Department of Social Services CPS Intake at 910-219-1808 Monday thru Friday from 8am until 5pm. Reports can also be made in person by visiting the Onslow County Department of Social Services located at 612 College Street Jacksonville, NC 28546 during these hours. Onslow County CPS Intake can be reached after these hours, holidays and weekends by calling the Onslow County Sheriff’s Office at 910-455-3113, pressing zero, and asking for the Onslow County Emergency Duty Social Worker.